I really wanted to make the KFC style chicken at home since a long time now. TBH, I am a fan of KFC and I absolutely love their products – Crispy chicken, Smoky Grilled, Wings, Chizza and the chicken popcorn! So when I saw a few Youtube videos on the recipe, I knew I had to try it.
Disclaimer – Those who know I am on Keto, don’t fret. This recipe might not be keto friendly, but I only had one piece that day and was well inside my macros.
Now, let’s quickly get on with the recipe. I am also putting the video here that will guide you in the process.
- Pre-Cut chicken (With bone and with skin preferable) – 500-600 Gms
- Spices – Salt, ginger garlic powder, Paprika, Oregano, Dry Basil, Piri Piri powder
- Oil (I used Coconut Oil because I only had that due to my keto, but you can use an oil of your preference)
Cook it up:
Brining – This is the process of dipping the washed chicken pieces into salt water for about 4 hours. It will make Chicken tender. Post the 4 hours, drain out the salt water (brine) from the bowl.
Marination – Put the chicken in a bowl and add some lemon juice, salt, Ginger garlic powder, paprika, basil and oregano to it (1tbsp each). Now add buttermilk to this bowl in a quantity that it submerges the chicken. Buttermilk will make the chicken further tender giving it the “Juicy inside, crunchy outside” quality. You need to marinate your chicken for another 4-6 hours (works overnight too).
Below is the video of the process from this step onwards:
If you’re still reading this, I am going to put down the rest of the process here too:
Take one big bowl and two plates.
- In the bowl, break 3 eggs. Whip it to mix the yolk and the white portion. Add some water to this so that the mix isn’t very thick.
- In the one plate, put in cornflour (or all-purpose flour) and add some salt, paprika, basil, and oregano to it and mix it evenly.
- In the other plate, put in breadcrumbs. If you don’t have ready-made breadcrumbs by freezing your bread slices and then grating them.
Now in a pan, put in the oil for deep frying your chicken and turn on the gas. Once the oil is heated up, you’re good to go.
- Take a piece of chicken from the marinade. Dip it into the egg mix.
- Now place it on the plate with cornflour and ensure it is completely covered in the flour.
- Dip the piece again in the egg now so we can add another layer of breadcrumbs on this. So roll the piece in the plate of breadcrumbs. Again, make sure the piece is completely covered with breadcrumbs.
- Now go ahead and deep fry this at medium flame for 10-15 minutes till the chicken is golden brown. Once you see the color, you can take it out and let it rest.
- Fry it again after 10 minutes for 5 minutes to give it that extra crunch and to make sure it is completely cooked.
- Put it on a plate with paper napkins to remove the excess oil and your chicken is ready to serve.
- I added some Piri Piri masala on this chicken because I like the flavor. You could choose to not add it as per your preferences.
Honestly, the recipes I saw online were different from this and I like improvising a lot. You can, rather must, do that too. Because you never know when you could find that perfect balance as per your taste in an otherwise sourced recipe. That’s what adventurers do. That’s what Young Urban Guys do!
Did you like this? Did you try this out? Let me know in the comments here. Would love to hear it out.